Singer-songwriter Taylor Swift and actress Katie Holmes ("Batman Begins") have joined the cast of the sci-fi drama "The Giver".
The film is an adaptation of the popular young adult novel of the same name by Lois Lowry and it tells the story of a 12-year-old boy (Brenton Thwaites) who is selected for life service as the Receiver of Memories within a seemingly perfect community, without war, pain, suffering, differences or choice. The boy must work with The Giver (Jeff Bridges), "an old man who teaches the boy to use his sensory gifts".
Katie Holmes will play the boy's mother, but Swift's role has not been announced, yet.
Meryl Streep will star as "the antagonistic Chief Elder, who assigns the young their tasks". The film also stars Alexander Skarsgard ("True Blood"), Odeya Rush ("The Odd Life of Timothy Green") and Cameron Monaghan ("Shameless").
"The Giver" will be directed by Phillip Noyce ("Salt") and has been scheduled for release on August 15, 2014.
RELATED POSTS :
- CASTING UPDATE: Colin Farrell, Paula Patton, Vince Vaughn, Hailee Steinfeld, Cate Blanchett and More
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS - 16 Pictures Featuring Tom Hanks
- FAST & FURIOUS 7 - New Pictures and Production Videoblog
- MACHETE KILLS - 2 Clips & 10 Pictures Featuring Danny Trejo, Sofia Vergara, Alexa Vega, Amber Heard & Michelle Rodriguez
- New Images: CINDERELLA, INTO THE WOODS, TRANSFORMERS 4, DUMB AND DUMBER TO
- Jennifer Lawrence Reunites with Director Gary Ross for EAST OF EDEN Adaptation
- New Pictures: THOR: THE DARK WORLD, I FRANKENSTEIN, TRANSFORMERS 4, THE WALKING DEAD SEASON 4