Good news "Star Wars" fans. It has been confirmed today, by Disney CEO Bob Iger, that they will indeed make several spinoff films based on characters from the franchise which will be released alongside the new trilogy that J.J. Abrams is working on. Screenwriters Lawrence Kasdan ("The Empire Strikes Back") and Simon Kinberg ("Sherlock Holmes") will be handling the stories of the spinoff installments and two of these stories will apparently focus on Boba Fett and a young Han Solo, and will take place, for the most part, within the timeline of the original trilogy:
"I can confirm to you today that in fact we are working on a few standalone films, Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great Star Wars characters that are not part of the overall saga. We still plan to make Star Wars 7, 8, and 9 roughly over a six-year period of time, starting in 2015. But there are going to be a few other films released in that period, too."
"The spinoff projects currently in development are a young Han Solo saga, focusing on the wisecracking smuggler’s origin story, and a bounty hunter adventure with Boba Fett at the center of a rogue’s gallery of galactic scum."
RELATED POSTS :
- NEWS UPDATES: Sin City 2, Lance Armstrong, Brian de Palma, Al Pacino and Martin Scorsese
- J.J. Abrams Will Direct STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Anna Paquin, Ellen Page and Shawn Ashmore return in X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST
- New Images: FAST & FURIOUS 6, 2 GUNS, RIDDICK, KICK-ASS 2
- IDENTITY THIEF (2013) - 15 New Images
- 2013 Producers and Screen Actors Guild Awards Winners
- New Images from JACK RYAN, THE WOLVERINE, ELYSIUM and MAN OF STEEL