Movies opening this week in theaters:
- ELYSIUM (TriStar Pictures / R)
- PERCY JACKSON: SEA OF MONSTERS (20th Century Fox / PG)
- WE'RE THE MILLERS (Warner Bros. Pictures / R)
- PLANES (Walt Disney Pictures / PG)
Read more about each movie after the jump.
In the year 2154, two classes of people exist: the very wealthy, who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined Earth. The people of Earth are desperate to escape the planet's crime and poverty, and they critically need the state-of-the-art medical care available on Elysium - but some in Elysium will stop at nothing to enforce anti-immigration laws and preserve their citizens' luxurious lifestyle. The only man with the chance bring equality to these worlds is Max (Matt Damon), an ordinary guy in desperate need to get to Elysium. With his life hanging in the balance, he reluctantly takes on a dangerous mission - one that pits him against Elysium's Secretary Delacourt (Jodie Foster) and her hard-line forces - but if he succeeds, he could save not only his own life, but millions of people on Earth as well
- Starring: Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley, Alice Braga, Diego Luna, William Fichtner, Wagner Moura
- Director: Neill Blomkamp
- Genre: Action, Drama, Sci-Fi
- Running Time: 109 min.
- Rating: R for strong bloody violence and language throughout
- Rottentomatoes: 66% (92 fresh, 47 rotten, score: 6.5/10).
- Metacritic: 60 out of 100 (25 positive, 16 mixed, 4 negative).
- New ELYSIUM Clips, Tech Featurette and Poster
- Featurette for ELYSIUM Starring Matt Damon and Jodie Foster
- New Extended Trailer and Poster for ELYSIUM Starring Matt Damon and Jodie Foster
- New TV Spot and Images for ELYSIUM Starring Matt Damon, Sharlto Copley Jodi Foster
- Theatrical Trailer for ELYSIUM Starring Matt Damon
- New Images for ELYSIUM Starring Matt Damon
PERCY JACKSON: SEA OF MONSTERS
Percy Jackson, the son of Poseidon, continues his epic journey to fulfill his destiny, as he teams with his demigod friends to retrieve the Golden Fleece, which has the power to save their home and training ground, Camp Half-Blood.
- Starring: Logan Lerman, Alexandra Daddario, Brandon T. Jackson, Douglas Smith, Leven Rambin, Stanley Rucci, Anthony Head, Nathan Fillion
- Director: Thor Freudenthal
- Genre: Adventure, Family, Fantasy
- Running Time: 106 min.
- Rating: PG for fantasy action violence, some scary images and mild language
- Rottentomatoes: 34% (30 fresh, 57 rotten, score: 4.8/10).
- Metacritic: 39 out of 100 (5 positive, 20 mixed, 8 negative).
WE'RE THE MILLERS
David Burke (Jason Sudeikis) is a small-time pot dealer whose clientele includes chefs and soccer moms, but no kids-after all, he has his scruples. So what could go wrong? Plenty. Preferring to keep a low profile for obvious reasons, he learns the hard way that no good deed goes unpunished when he tries to help out some local teens and winds up getting jumped by a trio of gutter punks. Stealing his stash and his cash, they leave him in major debt to his supplier, Brad (Ed Helms). In order to wipe the slate clean-and maintain a clean bill of health-David must now become a big-time drug smuggler by bringing Brad's latest shipment in from Mexico. Twisting the arms of his neighbors, cynical stripper Rose (Jennifer Aniston) and wannabe customer Kenny (Will Poulter), and the tatted-and-pierced streetwise teen Casey (Emma Roberts), he devises a foolproof plan. One fake wife, two pretend kids and a huge, shiny RV later, the "Millers" are headed south of the border for a Fourth of July weekend that is sure to end with a bang.
- Starring: Jennifer Aniston, Jason Sudeikis, Emma Roberts, Will Poulter, Ed Helms, Nick Offerman, Kathryn Hahn, Molly Quinn, Luis Guzman
- Director: Rawson Marshall Thurber
- Genre: Comedy
- Running Time: 110 min.
- Rating: R for crude sexual content, pervasive language, drug material and brief graphic nudity
- Rottentomatoes: 41% (41 fresh, 60 rotten, score: 5.3/10).
- Metacritic: 43 out of 100 (7 positive, 16 mixed, 10 negative).
- 2 Featurettes and 5 TV Spots for WE’RE THE MILLERS
- New WE’RE THE MILLERS Red Band Trailer
- 7 Movie Clips from WE’RE THE MILLERS Starring Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis
- 4 New Posters for WE’RE THE MILLERS Starring Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis
- Red Band & Green Band Trailers for WE’RE THE MILLERS Starring Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis
From above the world of “Cars” comes “Disney’s Planes,” an action-packed 3D animated comedy adventure featuring Dusty (voice of Dane Cook), a plane with dreams of competing as a high-flying air racer. But Dusty’s not exactly built for racing—and he happens to be afraid of heights. So he turns to a seasoned naval aviator who helps Dusty qualify to take on the defending champ of the race circuit. Dusty’s courage is put to the ultimate test as he aims to reach heights he never dreamed possible, giving a spellbound world the inspiration to soar. “Disney’s Planes” takes off in theaters on Aug. 9, 2013.
- Starring: Dane Cook, Val Kilmer, Anthony Edwards, Stacy Keach, Cedric the Entertainer, Teri Hatcher, Brad Garrett, Roger Craig Smith, Gabriel Iglesias, Carlos Alazraqui, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, John Cleese, Priyanka Chopra, Sinbad
- Director: Klay Hall
- Genre: Animation, Comedy, Adventure
- Running Time: 92 min.
- Rating: PG for some mild action and rude humor
- Rottentomatoes: 25% (18 fresh, 55 rotten, score: 4.5/10).
- Metacritic: 38 out of 100 (4 positive, 16 mixed, 8 negative).